nanog mailing list archives

Which way to fold the label (was: Re: time sink 42)

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:28:22 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Auer" <kauer () biplane com au>

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 17:17 -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
Fold one of the corners of the label, just a tiny corner, back towards
the backing paper, then forward.

It matters which way you bend, because of the relative stiffness of
the paper and the plastic; you have to bend *towards* the paper,
which will stay folded, away from the plastic.

What?!? Forward instead of backward? KILL THE UNBELIEVER! KILL! KILL!

Way to misquote me, Karl.  :-)

The alternative approach, to which ALL right-thinking persons subscribe,
is to avoid, as much as possible, folding the label. Because, indeed and
as you say, it will remain folded. If the label does have to be bent, it
should be left bent down, not up. Bending it towards the backing may
work on it's own, subjecting the backing paper to the more acute
deformation, and the label may even thereafter return to the flat
position uncreased, leaving the backing paper separated. The more
destructive bend upwards may also leave a corner of the label bent up
and away from the surface the label will be on.

It isn't necessary to bend it so sharply that the crease will stay in the
plastic, no.

And no, I didn't say the "label would stay folded".  I said the "backing
would stay folded".

GET IT RIGHT!!!!!1111!!!!ONE!!!!ELEVENTYONE!

The Covenant of the Holy Order of Downfolders meets weekly behind the
fourth server rack from the left, lower basement. Batteries not
supplied. Bring your own torch, pitchfork, etc.

Magic?

Or More Magic?

Cheers,
-- jr 'here commenceth the whacky weekend' a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com