nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hi speed trading - hi speed monitoring

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:19:22 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig" <cvuljanic () gmail com>

But also you have to consider, there are a large degree of shorter term
players, who are in/out of the market and play both sides, these do have
real-time data feeds, and do care about latency. Some shops go as far as to
only use a certain length patch cables from their trading PC to the switch
port they are connected to. Also consider when news releases are announced,
the markets often do move quite fast, and a LOT of money can be made/lost
in seconds, so delaying the orders, could and would affect the outcome of
the trades.

Sure.  We're simply asserting that those people serve no useful social
function, and we don't *care* whether their needs are served or not.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com