nanog mailing list archives

Re: time sink 42

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:53:20 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Bush" <randy () psg com>

ok, this is horribly pragmatic, but it's real. yesterday i was in the
westin playing rack and stack for five hours. an horrifyingly large
amount of my time was spent trying to peel apart labels made on my
portable brother label tape maker, yes peeling the backing from a little
label so remote hands could easily confirm a server they were going to attack.

is there a trick? is there a (not expensive) different labeling
machine or technique i should use?

1) You should make sure you're buying the newer crack-n-peel labels, on
which the backing is scored along the center.

2) If you have the older stuff, bend a corner sharply from the plastic
side (front) towards the paper side (backing).  The plastic label has more
spring in it, and will spring back away from the paper -- which will stay
bent -- and you'll have some separation that you can peel from.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com