nanog mailing list archives

Re: why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

From: Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:21:16 -0700

On 12/23/12 5:44 AM, Aled Morris wrote:
On 23 December 2012 01:07, Wayne E Bouchard <web () typo org> wrote:

They serve quite well until I get to a switch that some douchebag
mounted rear facing on the front posts of the rack

I see this all the time with low-end Cisco ISR products (2... and 3...
routers) since CIsco insist on having a "pretty" plastic fascia with their
logo, model number, power LED etc. on the unuseful side.  Less experienced
installers (being generous with my terminology) assume this is therefore
the "front" and mount it facing on the front rails, leaving the connector
side buried half way into the rack where only a proctologist can reach the
plugs.

And this would be one of the many reasons why nearly all of the 1900s 2900s, 2600s and even the behemoth 7507 we have sitting around the shop have no more plastic bezels on them. :)

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org