nanog mailing list archives

Re: why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 11:07:18 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimmy Hess" <mysidia () gmail com>

On 12/21/12, Naslund, Steve <SNaslund () medline com> wrote:
I have noticed that too. However it is not the RJ-45 connector's fault.
It is the morons that insist on recessing connectors in places where you
can't get your finger on the tab. I like the patch cords that have
the

Likely any connector with a latching retention mechanism requiring a
manual release will have this kind of problem in space-constrained
situations. A small flat edge screwdriver, spudger, or similar
instrument can work wonders, since they are much longer than
fingers.

I, too, have had to peel patch cables with boots off the front of a 4506;
it is indeed no fun.

That's not really where they belong, though; they belong on 6-12'+ *drop*
cables, not on patch cables.  There, they're useful in saving you having
to reconnectorize a cable when you pull the clip off, while back-fishing
it.  You can -- and should -- order frame patch cables without the boots.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com