nanog mailing list archives

Re: why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

From: Jason Baugher <jason () thebaughers com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 15:48:04 -0600

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Naslund, Steve <SNaslund () medline com>wrote:

I have noticed that too.  However it is not the RJ-45 connector's fault.
It is the morons that insist on recessing connectors in places where you
can't get your finger on the tab.  I like the patch cords that have the
kind of loop/spring thing for a tab that does not catch on everything
and that way you don't need the boot over the tab.  Another pet peeve of
mine is connector boots that harden up over time so it is nearly
impossible to flex the tab to remove the cable.  Also, how about the 48
port 6500 blades and trying to remove the cables near the blade
extraction tabs.  Grrrr.

Yes, the tabs you refer to are the best. I have never done business with
this company, but that have a good picture for reference.

http://www.computercablestore.com/10_FT_Booted_Cat5e_Networ_PID49403.aspx

The full boots can be so thick that they won't fit into a high-density
switch. If you're in a cold environment they go from difficult to compress
to damn near impossible. More than once I've used a knife to cut a hardened
boot off a cable so it's usable again.

Jason