nanog mailing list archives

Re: why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

From: Wayne E Bouchard <web () typo org>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:18:00 -0700

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 07:53:26AM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 18:07:16 -0700, Wayne E Bouchard said:

They serve quite well until I get to a switch that some douchebag
mounted rear facing on the front posts of the rack with servers above
and below and I just stand there cursing for a while as I scratch my
head trying to figure out how the hell to even get to the tab in the
first place...

Has anybody ever seen this with a switch that's 2U or thicker? I've
only seen it perpetrated with 1U switches, a situation that usually
results in my lapsing into Russian....

2U seems possible (can't say for certain) but larger, seems like you'd
have a fair chance of being able to make something work since you can
at least get your hands where they need to be... unless you can't find
a ladder.

(For the record, my knowledge of Russian is limited to those words that
Latvian carpenters reserve for hammers that aim at thumbs. :)

An appropriate quote:

  "Profanity is the one language all programmers know."

Works well for engineers too. :-)

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard