nanog mailing list archives

Re: rpki vs. secure dns?

From: Alex Band <alexb () ripe net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:18:12 +0200

On 29 Apr 2012, at 22:50, Nick Hilliard wrote:

On 28/04/2012 14:04, Alex Band wrote:
At RIPE 63, six months ago, the RIPE NCC membership got a chance to vote
on RPKI at the general meeting. The result was that the RIPE NCC has the
green light to continue offering the Resource Certification service,
including all BGP Origin Validation related functionality. It's correct
that concerns were raised in the area of security, resilience and
operator autonomy, as you mention. These concerns are continuously being
evaluated and addressed. The response to the update that was given at
RIPE 64 two weeks ago indicated that the membership and Community are
happy with the approach the RIPE NCC is taking in this regard. Of course
I realize that some people will never be convinced, no matter which
steps are taken…

Alex, I have to take exception with your statement that people in the RIPE
region are generally happy about RPKI and the RIPE NCC RPKI project. They
aren't.

That's not what I said. :)

-  a substantial number of people, both within the RIPE community and
within the RIPE NCC membership have serious concerns about the long-term
legal consequences of this project which have not (in their opinion) been
addressed adequately.

I already linked to my RIPE64 presentation from two weeks ago before, but here it is again:
https://ripe64.ripe.net/presentations/77-RIPE64-Plenery-RPKI.pdf

Slide 2-4: we heard you. This is what I said:

The response to the update that was given at
RIPE 64 two weeks ago indicated that the membership and Community are
happy with the approach the RIPE NCC is taking in this regard.

This is where I suspect you may be:

I realize that some people will never be convinced, no matter which
steps are taken…

So all in all you quoted me well. :)

-Alex

Now getting in my car for some internet-free holidays in the sun. See you all in a week!