nanog mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing DDOS

From: Andreas Echavez <andreas () livejournalinc com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:46:55 -0700

Having used some of the largest solutions, I do disagree.

After quickly searching google for Verisign, I could find a few documents
that claim they have ~350Gb of capacity. On Prolexic's website, they claim
to have the largest <http://www.prolexic.com/why-prolexic/index.html> total
mitigation capacity at 375Gb.

Now if you're talking about upstream providers (ATT/Verizon), even if your
upstream mitigates the traffic, do you really N+1 redundancy during an
attack? Do the providers have an SLA guaranteeing mitigation within a
certain timeframe? Finally, and most importantly to us, was how much do they
charge per attack, or if it a flat "insurance" type agreement where they
block unlimited attacks.

Total capacity certainly isn't the most important factor, but a sane pricing
policy certainly was.

-Andreas

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Stefan Fouant <