nanog mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing DDOS

From: Andreas Echavez <andreas () livejournalinc com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 10:54:52 -0700

We've dealt with these guys too too. There are lots of providers; I've used
ones through ISPs and they can work well. Our only issue is that the ISP we
were talking with only had XYZ Gb of mitigation, and Prolexic has a ton more
capacity (in the hundreds of gigabits when I last checked).

Prolexic is the go-to company for handling large-scale DDoSes. We haven't
yet tried the service, but they've been extremely professional. Every time
we're on the phone it's with engineers that know their stuff. Ultimately
you're going to want to have a mix of internal mitigation and one or several
providers if you're a big target.

I doubt anyone is going to be perfect -- it's simply impossible. Heck, lots
of the attacking "bots" are just spyware on legitimate users' PCs, so
obviously they will get blocked. My personal experience is that when you're
dealing with a DoS at the scale that you need Prolexic, there is simply no
one else that can handle that level of traffic.

-Andreas