nanog mailing list archives

Advice on BGP traffic engineering for classified traffic

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:24:21 -0500

I'm curious if anyone has a pointer on traffic manipulation for classified traffic.

Basics, I have a really cheap transit connection that some customers are paying reduced rates to only use that connection (and not my other transits). Though I've considered support for cases where NSP peering disputes break out. While I can advertise their networks out the correct transit for return traffic, I still have to figure out how to handle egress traffic.

I'm guessing the crux of it is policy routing based on source address, but I'm interested in ways to engineer it to easy management and scalability. I've considered the possibility of an l3vpn to interconnect customers that are not requiring full routes, and possibly some type of vpls tunnel terminated at the necessary router for customers who need full routes.

Thoughts, pointers, suggestions?

Jack