nanog mailing list archives

Re: 23,000 IP addresses

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 22:22:21 -0400

On May 10, 2011, at 9:53 16PM, Michael Painter wrote:

Deepak Jain wrote:
For examples, see the RIAA's attempts and more recently the criminal investigations of child porn downloads from
unsecured access
points. From what I understand (or wildly guess) is that ISPs with remote diagnostic capabilities are being asked if
their
provided access point is secure or unsecure BEFORE they serve their warrants to avoid further embarrassments. [It'll
probably
take another 6 months and more goofs before they realize that customers are perfectly capable of poorly installing
their own
access points behind ISP provided gear].

Exactly...what about those who choose WEP/WPA-TKIP for their 'secured' access point?
I can just imagine being in front of a judge/jury after having been arrested for, as you say, "child porn downloads "
and listening to my law^H^H^H public defender explain the mechanisms of how the access point was 'cracked' and may
have been used by someone sitting in their car down the street.<shudder>

It's happened -- here are two cases I know of:
http://news.cnet.com/Wi-Fi-arrest-highlights-security-dangers/2100-1039_3-5112000.html
http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/05/27/ontario-man-accused-of-downloading-child-porn-because-of-free-wifi-connection/