nanog mailing list archives

Re: 23,000 IP addresses

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 16:31:35 -0400

On May 10, 2011, at 3:51 32PM, Michael Holstein wrote:

In the US, I believe that CALEA requires you to have those records for 7 years.

No, it doesn't (records *of the requests* are required, but no
obligation to create subscriber records exists).

Even if it did .. academic institutions are exempt (to CALEA) as private
networks.*

There are various legislative attempts afoot to create one here in the
US .. but none have passed.

Regards,

Michael Holstein
Information Security Administrator
Cleveland State Unviersity

(*): US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia, 50-1504.

If I've found the right case, it was 05-1404, and published as 451 F.3d 226 (2006);
see http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F3/451/226/627290/
I have no idea if it's still good law.