nanog mailing list archives

Re: SP's and v4 block assignments

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:11:05 -0700

Owen DeLong wrote:
I'll point out that Comcast charges $5/month for a static IP on their business circuits.

I get charged $6 for a static IP for a home internet connection (not a business account). Although in the Netherlands xs4all will give you one for free, so it depends.

I am wondering though, is it normal to charge around $5/month for rDNS on that IP? I'd say a one time fee for the effort of adding the record to the nameserver would be enough. But then maybe the consumer ISP gets charged by their ISP for rDNS.

This is not uncommon practice. I agree with you that it's undesirable, but, it's not uncommon
among the access networks.

I guess it's ok to expect a small fee when your consumer grade internet connection gets a static IP. Given that many large ISPs force you to get a business account if you want a static IP, and a higher price.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/