nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why don't ISPs peer with everyone?

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 09:59:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

in this context, anyone who is a BGP speaker is an ISP.

Peering costs money. The transit bandwidth saved by peering with another network may not be sufficient to cover the cost of installing and maintaining whatever connections are necessary to peer. Then there's the big networks who really don't want to peer with anyone other than similarly sized big networks...everyone else should be their transit customer.

I manage a network that's primarily a hosting network. There's a similar hosting network at the other end of the building. We both have multiple gigs of transit. We don't peer with each other. Perhaps we should, because the cost of the connection would be negligible (I think we already have multiple fiber pairs between our suites), but looking at my sampled netflow data, I'm guessing we average about 100kbit/s or less traffic in each direction between us. At that low a level, is it even worth the time and trouble to coordinate setting up a peering connection, much less tying up a gigE port at each end?

Anyone from hostdime reading this?  :)
If so, what are your thoughts?

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |