nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why don't ISPs peer with everyone?

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 18:03:00 -0500 (CDT)

From nanog-bounces+bonomi=mail.r-bonomi.com () nanog org  Mon Jun  6 17:20:16 2011
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 18:19:37 -0400
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Why don't ISPs peer with everyone?
From: rucasbrown () hushmail com

Hello,

I wouldn't consider myself a network engineer, nor do I have any
formal training, but why don't ISPs peer with every other ISP? It
would only save EVERYONE money if they did this, no? Only issue I
see is with possibly hijacked / malicious AS owners, but that's not
very common to do without being caught.

The answer to _every_ question that  starts of "why don't they..." is
"money".

Who pays for the circuits to establish a 'peering connection' with an
ISP half-the world away?   How much does traffic does "Joes Bait Shop
and ISP" in Painted Privvy, Nebraska have with a community ISP in
Honshu, JP?"