nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why don't ISPs peer with everyone?

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:16:17 -0500

On 6/7/2011 11:38 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:
Additionally, we share at least one common transit provider, so we'd be trading <1ms for 1-2ms. Obviously, if we were talking about a leased line with any MRC, the answer would be hell no. Since we're able to utilize fiber inside the building with no MRC, the answer is more of a "why bother?" It's not going to save either of us any meaningful amount of transit bandwidth $/capacity.

That's what it really boils down to. How much money can be saved versus performance. If I'm doing a lot of throughput to a specific network, it makes sense that I might want to connect to them, especially if that connection either 1) saves me money or 2) gives me superior QOS/load balancing without a cost increase.

Anything less than 200mbit of traffic isn't even worth me considering these days, and as I grow, I'm sure that number will increase. Content providers generally won't peer unless you meet certain traffic requirements for the same reason.

Jack