nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Roland Perry <lists () internetpolicyagency com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 10:18:23 +0000

In article <F432E474-9725-4159-870A-D5432FE6EE4D () delong com>, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> writes

What is important with IPv6 is to teach the generation of hammer-wielding
mechanics who have grown up rarely seeing a screw and never knowing
that there were wrenches that there are new tools available in IPv6.
That screws or nuts and bolts can usually be superior to nails. That screws,
nuts, and bolts work better if you install them with a screw driver or a wrench.
That small brads lack structural integrity and that lag screws or bolts provide
a superior structural hold when installed properly. That attempting to hammer
every screw into a NAT-hole will destroy both the screw and the NAT-hole in
most cases.

This is all very true, but doesn't qualify (for my small-enterprise target audience) as "not noticing the difference" when the upstream network swaps from IPv4 to IPv6. I wonder what's the best way to get them up the necessary learning curve?

[Maybe I should write a book about it]
--
Roland Perry