nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 21:23:05 -0500 (EST)

---- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson () drtel com>

This is exactly the problem we have. Some people have no perspective
on what the Internet is and it's real power. I've met too many people
who claim to be "in the know" on these topics that don't understand
that NAT was designed for address preservation. That was the
only/primary/driving real reason for its development. The other
"features" were side effects and are not intended to be solutions to
production issues.

"[were] not intended to be solutions to production issues" !=
"are not being depended on now".

If I use a wrench to hammer nails, it may work fine, but when It comes
to certain nails it may have issues. I'm using the tool for the wrong
purpose. This is the folly of NAT.

Perhaps.  But that's not important, now.

Cheers,
-- jr 'Good luck.  We're all counting on you' a