nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 11:28:28 -0800

On Feb 6, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Henry Yen wrote:

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 10:43:18AM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
I believe that Sony will offer IPv6 software upgrades for the PS-3 because
they will eventually realize that failing to do so is bad for future sales.

Sony appears quite willing to file eye-openingly broad discovery requests
in its OtherOS/geohotz lawsuit(s).  Related, but separate, Sony appears
to be unconcerned with the removal of OtherOS in the first place, a
documented feature and selling point that's made some people unhappy
(e.g. USAF).  And Sony appears completely unconcerned about the Sony RootKit
fiasco ("Most people, I think, don't even know what a Rootkit is, so why
should they care about it?").

Technical impediments (lack of ipV6) in their product(s) do not necessarily
correlate with what they think of future sales prospects.

While Sony is, indeed, showing surprising market ignorance and bad
judgment at the moment, I think that the market will eventually teach
them a lesson in these regards.

Time will tell.

Owen