nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft JMRP (Mail) Admin Needed

From: Richard Laager <rlaager () wiktel com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 01:19:39 -0600

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 12:39 +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Richard Laager <rlaager () wiktel com> wrote:
<rant>I'm not sure why it's necessary to have all these individual
"feedback loop" processes anyway. Why can't everyone just send spam
reports to the Abuse handles on the relevant WHOIS record?</rant>

Feedback loops are sent in machine parseable formats
abuse mailboxes are read by ISP support staff and complaints are
manually handled.

If the feedback loop complaints are machine parseable, then by
definition a machine can parse the abuse mail stream and separate out
the feedback loop complaints for automated handling before sending the
rest to the human team.

Every single report spam click by
a user on hotmail, yahoo etc is fed through their feedback loops (like
JMRPP for hotmail)

I think the implied point here is that this can be a LOT of mail and
that obtaining the recipient's consent is desirable before sending them
this volume of mail? If so, I think that's a fair point. On the other
hand, the complaints are in response to messages their network sent in
the first place.

Richard