nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft JMRP (Mail) Admin Needed

From: Michael J Wise <mjwise () kapu net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:41:20 -0800

On Dec 19, 2011, at 6:10 PM, Richard Laager wrote:

I'm trying to sign up for Microsoft's Junk Mail Reporting Program.
Multiple representatives keep sending me more-or-less form responses
saying they can't add my dynamic …

Stop right there.
Are the IP addresses you are sending mail from Dynamic?
Do you *own* those addresses?

Why are they, "Dynamic"?
Mail should never be coming from Dynamic IP addresses.

… customer IP ranges because they're
"included in...[a] third party block list". The list in question is the
SpamHaus PBL.

They clearly don't understand …

They clearly *DO* understand.
They know exactly what the PBL is.

that the SpamHaus PBL (unlike other
SpamHaus lists) is not a list of IPs that have sent spam. I'm looking
for someone with a clue that can help me.

You need to understand why they are not interested in your traffic as you currently describe your ability to send it.

P.S. Even ignoring the PBL, this policy of not enrolling IP ranges that
are listed on DNSBLs doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Even if the IPs
had been sending spam, wouldn't Microsoft want the ISP's help in
stopping that?

They *HAVE* stopped it. :) Already.

Aloha,
Michael.