nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid,

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 06:54:14 +1000

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 09:31:07AM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
Yes they are -- content providers aren't getting their connections to
the
Internet for free (and if they are, how can I get me some of that?).

Maybe I wasn't clear.  Traffic is moving away from "transit" to direct
peering at private exchanges in many cases.  [Citation needed]

If the ISPs are directly peering with the content provider at
some IX, the content provider gets what amounts to a free ride to
the
end user.

Say wha?  ISPs don't *have* to peer at an IX; if they think that it's
cheaper to buy transit from someone than it is to peer, they're more
than
capable of doing so.

Transit would have to get extremely cheap to compete with exchange
peering.  I don't see it getting that low any time soon.

So it *is* cheaper to peer than to buy transit.  Take the money you save
from not buying transit and put it towards upgrading your core.

- Matt

--
Generally the folk who love the environment in vague, frilly ways are at
odds with folk who love the environment next to the mashed potatoes.