nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid,

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 08:38:06 -0500

On 9/21/2010 8:12 AM, Joe Greco wrote:
Finally, there's a risk that this double-edged sword could slice back
at service providers.  Content networks often raise funds through
advertising.  What happens when one day, some network (*cough ESPN360*),
decides that a *SERVICE PROVIDER* should pay for the privilege of
getting access to their content?  I mean, after all, two can play at
the game of holding the ISP's subscribers hostage, and in many areas,
subscribers do have a choice between at least two service providers,
in case their first choice sucks.  I don't think we want this, but it
could be a natural backlash.  What if Google came to you and said "you
will pay us a dollar per sub per month, or we will route all your
traffic through a 56k link in Timbuktu"?  Would most eyeball networks
even have a realistic *choice*?

Yeah, wish that was illegal. The size of the provider determines the cost per capable subscriber, along with other perks, so it's a better deal for the AT&T and Verizons of the world, and sucks for the "We have 13 independent ILECs and each has to have a separate deal." Word is, they designed it with their current cable customers in mind, not the traditional ISP, so it pushes people towards the cable company.

I'd accept any ISP net-neutrality arguement for content providers to stop doing that crap and support per user subscription fees. The whole beauty of the Internet video is people can pick and choose and not have to pay for things they don't use (ie, for espn3, I have to account the per customer charges into my bills and pester my customers with espn3 advertising in their bills even if they hate sports or don't watch video/tv/movies).

Jack