nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid,

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:44:07 -0700

On 9/20/10 11:38 AM, Nathan Eisenberg wrote:
Devil's Advocate here,

What would you say to ISP A that provided similar speeds as ISP B,
but B took payments from content providers and then provided the
service for free?

Gives you the choice, ISP A, which costs, and ISP B, which is free,
and most people wouldn't know the difference.

~J

I would say that it's an interesting and unprecedented (to my
knowledge) model.  Could be an interesting business plan.  I'm not
sure if it's realistically viable, and it's certainly a risky
proposition, but it's definitely unusual.

It is called netzero... state of the art 1998 business model...
advertisers pay for the right to spew crap at cheapskate modem users.

Nathan