nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:47:21 -0400

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:47:38 EDT, Dave Sparro said:

Would you object to an ISP model where a content provider could pay to
get an ISP subscriber's package upgraded on a dynamic basis?

It would look something like my Road Runner PowerBoost(tm) service, only
it never cuts off when the consumer is accessing a particular content
provider's service.

That would allow Netflix/Hulu/OnLive/whoever to offer me a streaming
service that requires a 15Mbps connection even though I'm not willing to
upgrade my 10 up/1 down ISP connection to get it.

What happens to your neighbor's 10M while you're doing this?