nanog mailing list archives

Re: SORBS on autopilot?

From: paul <paul () hessels ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:26:12 -0500 (EST)

Michelle,

--
Paul

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few.
Shunryu Suzuki

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Michelle Sullivan wrote:

That is my view, however most (if not all) of the tickets were for the /22 not the /32 which is why it was rejected.

On all of my tickets but one the robot said:

"I've analyzed the following IP space, based on the text of your
request:

67.196.137.188/32"

From your email, it is my understanding this should have went to a human. I

So go back to the robot response and tell me where it says it'll be sent to a human...please...?

Until you told me it was going to a human, I didn't know. In fact, I only replied to the robot out of frustration; who would reply to a robot expecting a different answer the second time?

Its been 10 days without a response, maybe my ticket got caught up some where?

-kind of leaping to conclusions here, but possibly the robot is caching DNS? Which means even if what was broken had been fixed, the robot wouldn't see it?

The robot caches results for 48 hours to prevent people launching DoS attacks on our systems as well as yours. The results are easily checked here:

Perhaps require them to login.

eg:

http://nemesis.sorbs.net:82/67/196/67.196.137.0.txt

Access to this would have helped a lot. Atleast I would have had some place to start. I see the last scan was on Jan 12th. I see an error I can't really account for.

In this case you can easily see why the robot was unable to process the request... PTR's were requested from the nominated authoritive servers, only to receive a "NODATA" response (commonly seen if TCP responses are required or CNAMEs are returned without the PTR.)

There is an issue with the robot and some correctly assigned classless delegations due to the way we process the data, there are various catches to correct this and re-process the network with a more reliable (but considerably more resource hungry) method. Unfortunately it's not fool proof though, which is why we tell people to respond to the robot response to get a human to review it. If anyone out there is knowledgable in Perl, C and DNS and wants to take a shot at fixing that issue I'd love to have the help.

I seem to have gotten caught in a corner case then? Because as far as I can see everything is setup correctly on my end.

Your help would be appreciated.

Michelle