nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mitigating human error in the SP

From: Chadwick Sorrell <mirotrem () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:51:59 -0500

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:45 PM, James Downs <james.downs () egontech com> wrote:

On Feb 2, 2010, at 9:33 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

We have solved 98% of this with standard configurations and templates.

To deviate from this requires management approval/exception approval after
an evaluation of the business risks.

I would also point Chad to this book: http://bit.ly/cShEIo (Amazon Link to
Visual Ops).
It's very useful to have your management read it.  You may or may not be
able to or want to use a full ITIL process, but understanding how these
policies and procedures can/should work, and using the ones that apply makes
sense.
Change control, tracking, and configuration management are going to be key
to avoiding mistakes, and being able to rapidly repair when one is made.
Unfortunately, most management that demands No Tolerance, Zero Error from
operations won't read the book.
Good luck.. I'd bet most of the people on this list have been there one time
or another.
Cheers,
-j

Interesting book, maybe I'll bring that to the next meeting.  Thanks
for the heads up on that.