nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mitigating human error in the SP

From: gordon b slater <gordslater () ieee org>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:57:12 +0000

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 12:26 +0000, gb10hkzo-nanog () yahoo co uk wrote:

 Nothing in the IT / ISP / Telco world is ever going to be perfect,
 far too complex with many dependencies.   Yes you might play in your
 perfect little labs until the cows come home ..... but there always
 has been and always will be an element of risk when you start making
 changes in production.
 Face it, unless you follow the rigorous change control and development
 practices that they use for avionics or other high-risk environments,
 you are always going to be left with some element of risk.

Agreed.

I'd say that 10 minutes of checklist creation at the onset of a change
plan, then 5 minutes of checklist revision/debrief per day is time well
spent. After a couple of months attitudes to SOPs usually change.

_insert duplicate of aviation-style check-listing and human factors
reporting thread here_

Gord

--
followed by: "help - SORBS has me blacklisted", again
:)