nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google wants your Internet to be faster

From: Kenny Sallee <kenny.sallee () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:49:54 -0700

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Nathan Eisenberg
<nathan () atlasnetworks us>wrote:

Is there a performance difference between the Internet and Internet2?
Should that be allowed, or must all IP networks have the same
performance?

I think that statement may confuse metrics like performance and capacity,
with the action of intentionally QOS'ing Netflix over Youtube over the same
uplink.  One is a reality, and one offers disturbing possibilities.

Best Regards,
Nathan Eisenberg

Maybe the ISP's should move this choice to the consumer.  The last mile is
'usually' where congestion really hits.  Why not build a portal for
consumers to go in an choose what's important to them?  I know some MPLS VPN
providers do something similar (have a portal businesses can use to view and
modify QoS settings).  I'd love to be able to prioritize Netflix over
youtube or bittorrent or whatever games my kids are playing since I mainly
use Netflix to watch movies.  But I wouldn't like the big guys dictating
what is important to me.