nanog mailing list archives

Re: the alleged evils of NAT, was Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:25:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

That site will manage to chucklehead their config whether or not it's NAT'ed.

True...but when they do it and all their important stuff is in 192.168.0/24, you still can't reach it...and if they break NAT, at least their internet breaks. i.e. they'll know its broken. When they change the default policy on the firewall to Accept/Allow all, everything will still work...until all their machines are infected with enough stuff to break them.

Hmm... Linux has a firewall.  MacOS has a firewall. Windows XP SP2 or later
has a perfectly functional firewall out of the box, and earlier Windows had
a firewall but it didn't do 'default deny inbound' out of the box.

Linux can have a firewall. Not all distros default to having any rules. XP can (if you want to call it that). I don't have any experience with MacOS. Both my kids run Win2k (to support old software that doesn't run well/at all post-2k). I doubt that's all that unusual.

Are you *really* trying to suggest that a PC is not fit-for-purpose
for that usage, and *requires* a NAT and other hand-holding?

Here's an exercise. Wipe a PC. Put it on that cable modem with no firewall. Install XP on it. See if you can get any service packs installed before the box is infected.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |