nanog mailing list archives

Re: the alleged evils of NAT, was Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:15:39 -0400

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:48:54 PDT, Matthew Kaufman said:

Anyone inventing a new service/protocol that doesn't work with NAT isn't
planning on success.

Only true in the IPv4 world.  IPv6 will hopefully be different.

The answer to these questions isn't a good one for users, so
as the community that are best placed to defend service quality
and innovation by preserving the end to end principal, it is
our responsibility to defend it to the best of our ability.

Firewalls will always break the end-to-end principle, whether or not
addresses are identical between the inside and outside or not.

The difference is that if a protocol wants to be end-to-end, I can fix a
firewall to not break it.  You don't have that option with a NAT.

So get busy - v6 awareness, availability and abundancy are
overdue for our end users.

Maybe. Most of them are perfectly happy.

Most of the US population was perfectly happy just before the recent
financial crisis hit.  Ignorance is bliss - but only for a little while.