nanog mailing list archives

Re: Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:03:35 -0400

John,

ARIN's role as the entity engaged in legal contractual relationship with the previous owners of the space puts it in the position to insert enforceable contract clauses to deter and/or mitigate "graffiti" in allocations.

Policy proposals probably are not required for this.

Space originally from outside ARIN, thats another kettle of fish.

ARIN is also in the position to refuse allocations for entities who dont clean up after themselves. Policy likely required.

And finally, if this problem continues to worsen (as it likely will when greenfield becomes scarce), a viable business opportunity should emerge for reputable organizations to do cleanup on behalf of the new owners, for a reasonable fee/retainer and after suitable financial/contractual guarantees.

Cost of business, efficiency of scale and all that. Perhaps the bill could even be sent to the previous owners.

Operationally, I dont see how the problem can be mitigated solely by those who are already informed.

Joe

John Curran wrote:
Folks -

   It appears that we have a real operational problem, in that ARIN
   does indeed reissue space that has been reclaimed/returned after
   a hold-down period, and but it appears that even once they are
   removed from the actual source RBL's, there are still ISP's who
   are manually updating these and hence block traffic much longer
   than necessary.

   I'm sure there's an excellent reason why these addresses stay
   blocked, but am unable to fathom what exactly that is...
   Could some folks from the appropriate networks explain why
   this is such a problem and/or suggest additional steps that
   ARIN or the receipts should be taking to avoid this situation?

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO