nanog mailing list archives

RE: Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation, replaced by registered use

From: "Lee Howard" <lee () asgard org>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:24:10 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Otis [mailto:dotis () mail-abuse org]
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 1:41 PM
To: joel jaeggli
Cc: NANOG list
Subject: Re: Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation, replaced by registered use

On 9/13/09 12:49 PM, joel jaeggli wrote:
Frank Bulk wrote:
[]
If anything, there's more of a disincentive than ever before for
ARIN to spend time on netblock sanitization.

This whole thread seems to be about shifting (I.E. by externalizing)
the costs of remediation. presumably the entities responsible for the
poor reputation aren't likely to pay... So heck, why not ARIN?
perhaps because it's absurd on the face of it? how much do my fees go
up in order to indemnify ARIN against the cost of a possible future
cleanup? how many more staff do they need? Do I have to buy prefix
reputation insurance as contingent requirement for a new direct
assignm

Perhaps ICANN could require registries establish a clearing-house, where
at no cost, those assigned a network would register their intent to
initiate bulk traffic, such as email, from specific addresses.  Such a
use registry would make dealing with compromised systems more tractable.

If they would just comply with RFC 3514, such a registry would be
unnecessary.

This registry would also supplant the guesswork involved with divining
meaning of reverse DNS labels.

We could standardize a string to be used in rDNS of dynamic pools, if you
want.

Lee