nanog mailing list archives

Re: Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

From: Martin Hannigan <martin () theicelandguy com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:52:38 -0400

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:23 PM, David Conrad <drc () virtualized org> wrote:

Marty,

It's possible that not everything is above the table as well.

Actually, no.  The whole point in publishing the algorithm IANA is using in
allocating /8s is to allow anyone to verify for themselves we are following
that algorithm.

Sorry, poor wording on my part. See below.

 I think that the perception is reality here though. ICANN has arbitrarily
created process that impacts RIR's unequally. To me, that's unfair.

As stated, we followed existing RIR practices regarding treatment of LACNIC
and AfriNIC.  Oddly, the RIR CEOs were happy with the algorithm when we
asked them about it.

I honestly don't think that it's up to them to create a set-aside either,
hence my comment about behind the scenes activities. I appreciate you
detailing that, but I honestly don't think it matters since as you mentioned
you get accused of this all of the time. I would expect that ICANN would not
only follow the rules, but safeguard them as well.

Numbering policy usually goes to the members of each of the RIR communities,
just as the IANA to RIR policy did. The algorithm itself is great. The
set-aside is the problem. I'd be happy with the algorithm and all of the
space. It would be more fair to us all and not appear as a cost shifting or
potential windfall.

Best,

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                               martin () theicelandguy com
p: +16178216079