nanog mailing list archives

Re: {SPAM?} Re: IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:15:58 -0700

On Oct 22, 2009, at 2:31 PM, TJ wrote:

Then let me say it. RA needs to be able to be completely turned off.
DHCPv6 needs to be able to completely configure all requesting hosts.

Those two statements are not synonymous ...

They may not be synonymous, but, there is a set of operators for whom both
are true.

Sure, leave RA in the IPv6 stack. The market will decide, and we will see if
it is still on by default on soho routers and in IOS 15.4T in 2015.

That is a more sensible statement. And were I to be a gambling man I would
say it will indeed be on by default ... we'll talk more about it then :).

Also, I would like to add - there is a difference between the default
gateway information and other things, such as NTP|DNS|SIP server
information.

Maybe.

The default gateway, by definition, is an on-link thing. IMHO, this makes
the router a good source for information about the router.

It does in some cases.  In other cases, it does not.

I am not saying use cases for "fully spec'ed DHCPv6" don't exist or should
be ignored.
Making the router capable of sharing the "missing piece" that covers ~95% of
use cases is also a Good Thing.

I don't think most people are arguing that it should not be possible to configure a network for RA/SLAAC with the RA providing the gateway information. In fact, I think most of us would like to see RA/SLAAC capable of providing the other
needed pieces of the puzzle.

That said, there is a group of operators for whom RA is a bad thing, SLAAC is
also a bad thing, and, their current usage of DHCPv4 does not map to any
existing IPv6 technology, so, they are crying foul and want their needs addressed. I think that is 100% legitimate, regardless of whether Iljitsch thinks we are old
enough to play with power tools or not.

Thinking out loud, we could also re-create the idea of an auto-magic DNS by creating a special use case within ULA-space - say FD00::/96, saving the
last 32 bits for something like ::53 and using anycast.

That's a fine solution for part of the problem space, but, moving the router assignment function for hosts to a device controlled by the host administrator is a necessary administrative boundary issue for a number of organizations.

*(Could abstract same idea to any stateless and/or light-session-based
service ... FD00::123 for Automagic ULA-based anycast NTP, etc. Need 32 bits if we don't want to hex convert the >9999 things, just in case ...)*

NOOO... If you're going to do fd00:: for this, the 123 case really should
be fd00::7b, not fd00::123

Owen