nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP port blocking practice

From: Justin Shore <justin () justinshore com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:51:06 -0500

Joe Maimon wrote:
You can configure exchange to use additional smtp virtual servers and bind them to specific ports. You can also require authentication to access the ports and you can restrict it to users. You can also enable it for STARTTLS.

That I did not know. Last time I'd looked there wasn't a decent work around unless you wanted to run a 2nd Exchange server in a cluster of sorts on a 2nd box and change it's default port to 587. Then let Exchange clustering move the mail around on the back end. This is good to know.

I have many a time recommended consulting customers to follow up with their mail provider to see if they has any plans to support the rfc standard, but I dont share much enthusiasm for complete adoption. I do believe it is getting better.

I'm sorry to say that the larger SP that we outsourced our customer mail service to doesn't support MSP. They don't support much of anything outside of the very basics. They require SMTP AUTH but until relatively recently they didn't support any AUTH options other than plaintext (I was actually shocked just now when I doublechecked because I have looked before). No, I'm not kidding. They do rDNS checks on every IP list in a Received line. The also do DNSBL DUL checks on all IPs on the Received lines (dumb because of course the first one will match if the SP has their customer dynamic pools listed in a DUL-type list). Things will change on their end and the way we find out is because of user complaints. The decision to switch to them wasn't a technical one I'm afraid. If you're an Internet *Service* Provider you should probably provide you own services.

Justin