nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:12:24 +1030

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:20:11 +1100
Karl Auer <kauer () biplane com au> wrote:

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 11:40 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
If, on the other hand, the REAL desire is to have a DHCP server break
the tie in the selection between several routers that advertise their
presence, that wouldn't be unreasonable.

The RA contains a preference level... maybe that doesn't cut it if
multiple routers are sending the same preference level, but presumably
that would not happen in a well-tended network.

IPv6 Subnets/VLANs are pretty cheap, maybe if people are having this
issue, that's a sign they need to divide their hosts into more
subnets/VLANs.

More broadly, it seems the argument is where to put networking
operational policy - in the network (via e.g. engineered topology), or
on the hosts. I think there is value in putting it in the network,
because it avoids having to change host located policy when the
network policy changes.

In any case, anywhere this is actually of vital importance, a routing
protocol would be in use.

Using the DHCP protocol to deliver information - about anything really -
is what it's *for*. That said, making clients depend utterly on the
presence of a working DHCP server for basic connectivity seems like a
backward step. Of course, different people have different ideas about
what constitutes "basic" connectivity.

Stop trying to break the internet and I'll treat you like an adult.

Whoa! Tell you what, how about if I break it, and you get to choose
which piece you keep? [Bash, bash, thud. Ugh. Hm. It's tougher than it
looks!]

:-)

Regards, K.

--
Karl Auer (kauer () biplane com au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF