nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP customer assignments

From: Tim Durack <tdurack () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 21:41:19 -0400

So now Verizon is in open revolt against ARIN. They positively refuse
to carry /48's from legitimately multihomed users. Eff 'em. Perhaps
Verizon would sooner see IPv6 go down in flames than see their TCAMs
fill up again. Who knows their reasoning?

Agree or disagree, it is indeed food for thought. One thing I can say
with confidence: as a community we truly haven't grasped the major
implications of an address space that isn't scarce coupled with a
routing table that is.

Thing is, I'm an end user site. I need more that a /48, but probably
less than a /32. Seeing as how we have an AS and PI, PA isn't going to
cut it. What am I supposed to do? ARIN suggested creative subnetting.
We pushed back and got a /41. If IPv6 doesn't scratch an itch, why
bother?

There are plenty of high-profile end user sites in 2620::/23. Some
government (CIA), some popular (Facebook.) I don't think Verizon's
stand is going to last.

Tim:>