nanog mailing list archives

RE: ISP customer assignments

From: "TJ" <trejrco () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:46:10 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert.E.VanOrmer () frb gov [mailto:Robert.E.VanOrmer () frb gov]
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 7:41 PM
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: ISP customer assignments

The address space is daunting in scale as you have noted, but I don't see
any
lessons learned in address allocation between IPv6 and IPv4.  Consider as a
residential customer, I will be provided a /64, which means each individual
on
Earth will have roughly 1 billion addresses each.

Nope.  You should get a ~/56.  Even so, a /64 gives you ~18BillionBillion
addresses.

Organizations will be provided /48s or smaller, but given the current
issues
with routing /48's globally, I think you will find more organizations
fighting
for /32s or smaller...  so what once was a astonomical number of addresses
that
one cannot concieve numerically, soon becomes much smaller.  I can see an
IPv7

Nope, organizations will go for PI ~/48s, and Verizon will be forced to stop
filtering them.
Oh, and IIRC - as it stands now, IPv7-9 are already shot (similar to IPv1-3)
... so IPv10 would be next up, in a century ... or four.

in the future, and doing it all over again... I just hope I retire before
it
comes... The only difference I can see between IPv4 and IPv6 is how much of

Are you retiring in the next 0-3 years?  :)

pain it is to type a 128 bit address...  Just like back in the day when
Class B
networks were handed out like candy, one day we will be figuring out how to
put
in emergency allocations on the ARIN listserv for IPv6 because of address
exhaustion and waste.

As for the lessons learned - it is about scale.
32 bits isn't enough, double it 96 more times (or 32 more times for just the
network side, if you prefer) and it is enough.

/TJ