nanog mailing list archives

Re: two interfaces one subnet

From: Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 15:52:19 -0600

On 5/11/09 3:23 PM, Chris Meidinger wrote:
On 11.05.2009, at 23:19, Alex H. Ryu wrote:

Unless you configure Layer 2 for two interfaces, it's not going to work.
It is invalid from networking principle.
If you have to send the traffic for host in same subnet you configured,
which interface it should send out ?
Basically it may create broadcast storm loop by putting two ip addresses
in same subnet in different interface.
It may be allowed from host-level, but from router equipment, I don't
think it was allowed at all.

Alex, I _personally_ know that it's a problem. I was hoping for an
RFC-reference, or similar standards document, to show to customers to
convince them to stop trying to hack things to make it work.

Chris

In Linux, I ran into the exact situation talked about in the link:
http://lwn.net/Articles/45373/

Basically, recent versions of Linux will respond to arp requests for IPs on another interface on the receiving interface. Basically, you end up with traffic going in/out of unexpected interfaces. I discovered my iptables rules weren't quite working right and I couldn't get into one of my boxen because the allow was set to eth0, and the packets were coming in/out of eth1 even though the IP was bound to eth0.

One of the more interesting gotchas that had me stumped for hours before I found out what was really going on.
--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org