nanog mailing list archives

Re: two interfaces one subnet

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 17:47:43 -0400

On May 11, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Alex H. Ryu wrote:

Unless you configure Layer 2 for two interfaces, it's not going to work.

It can work. Of course it _may_ not, depending upon your implementation, but then some implementations can't get a single interface to work properly per subnet.

It is invalid from networking principle.

You are confused, there is nothing invalid about the configuration.

If you have to send the traffic for host in same subnet you configured,
which interface it should send out ?

Pick an interface and send the packet. It's not rocket science. I can come up with half a dozen algorithms off the top of my head while typing the last sentence.

Basically it may create broadcast storm loop by putting two ip addresses
in same subnet in different interface.

That is an interesting statement. Could you explain how this can happen without crafting an idiotic implementation spec (e.g. every packet goes out both interfaces)?

It may be allowed from host-level, but from router equipment, I don't
think it was allowed at all.

Ever used HSRP / VRRP? Two interfaces in the same subnet. Works fine. In fact, most people think it works _better_ than one interface in the same subnet.

--
TTFN,
patrick