nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent (was the poetry thread)

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:05:44 -0500

On Jan 12, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Martin List-Petersen wrote:
Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
On Jan 12, 2009, at 1:17 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
Jeffrey Lyon wrote:
Mike,
Aside from the occasional peering wars i've never had or witnessed any serious issues with Cogent. If you want some redundancy you might also
try some other similarly priced providers like WBS Connect, HE, or
BtN.

(resend due to subject filter)

Plus if you had direct connectivity to Cogent, their peering status with
others wouldn't affect you anymore. Personally, I've seriously
considered this as a reason to get a connection from Cogent.

If you are not single-homed, you have no issues reaching Cogent even
during a "peering war" - unless Cogent depeers / gets depeered from
-both- (all) of your upstreams at the same time. So what value is there
to add Cogent?

The value is, that Cogent pretty much is the cheapest transit you can
get out there vs. paying a premium for carriers that have less clue and
more outages.

Sorry for being imprecise. I meant that adding Cogent does not significantly improve your reachability. Choosing to buy from Cogent because they depeer / get depeered occasionally is silly, IMHO.

To be clear, I am making no comment on Cogent's overall performance. If you find value in adding a provider for other reasons (cost, performance, etc.), I would not argue against it.

--
TTFN,
patrick