nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for verification that Google and Akamai have the geo-ip for 96.31.0.0/20 set correctly

From: "Martin Hannigan" <martin () theicelandguy com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:47:18 -0500

Maxmind www.maxmind.com is a fairly good indicator of what geo-locators are
seeing, but I recall a recent thread here that there have been disagreements
between the various geolocation services.

I think that some of it depends on the reference sources i.e. how many and
what the algorithms are and also the update frequency. Using plain old whois
data, for example, is notoriously unreliable, but definitely "usable" as a
reference.

Might be nice if search engines and cdn's had a verification site for
checking and suggesting corrections i.e.
www.favoritesearchengine.com/ipverifiy

Best,

Martin