nanog mailing list archives

Happy New Year! Let the botnets loose!

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 14:23:14 -0600

From reports in the CBL database, it appears they have enjoyed some DOS traffic yesterday, and I'm currently enjoying a little 40k+ botnet attack (small botnet beats large one when you host the victim IP).

Anyone have any good resources on the breakdowns of the current known botnets and their traffic patterns? This one appears to use random IP protocol numbers, and extremely small packets. IP 255 and ICMP type 70 seem popular on this one, but I see a lot of randomness.

Feel free to reply offlist if you have some good resources.

Jack Bates