nanog mailing list archives

RE: Security team successfully cracks SSL using 200 PS3's and MD5 flaw.

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:49:24 -0500

Of course, this will just make the browsers pop up dialog boxes which
everyone will click OK on...

And brings us to an even more interesting question, since everything is trusting their in-browser root CAs and such.
How trustable is the auto-update process? If one does provoke
a mass-revocation of certificates and everyone needs to update their browsers... how do the
auto-update daemons *know* that what they are getting is the real deal?

[I haven't looked into this, just bringing it up. I'm almost certain its less secure than the joke that is SSL
certification].

Happy New Year!

Deepak