nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Confusion

From: David Freedman <david.freedman () uk clara net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:05:19 +0000

It's a 128 bit address.  Routing is done on VLSM, but, generally for DNS
purposes, these
are expected to be at least on nibble boundaries.

There is an intent to support what is known as EUI-64, which means every
subnet should
be a /64, however, there are people who number smaller subnets and that
is supposed
to work, but, it will break certain IPv6 things like stateless
autoconfiguration (which is
optional).

We are one of these people who opted to use smaller subnet sizes
for point-to-point networks (i.e router transfer nets),
If you are interested in what we did and want to see some examples of
what other people are doing check out a presentation that I gave some
time ago about our deployment

http://www.convergence.cx/ipv6clara.ppt
(apologies for the lack of PDF)

Slides 2-15