nanog mailing list archives

Re: Global Blackhole Service

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () isc org>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:57:24 +0000

<j.ott () plusserver de> wrote:
- - What do you think about such service?
- - Would you/your ASN participate in such a service?
- - Do you see some kind of usefull feature in such a service?
- - Do you have any comments?

----- "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <ops.lists () gmail com> wrote:
Ah. rbl.maps.vix.com from about a decade back when it was available as
a bgp feed. But only for ddos sources.

Nuno Vieira - nfsi telecom <nuno.vieira () nfsi pt> writes:

But in the meanwhile, a decade later, it does not longer exist.

it still exists (same ASN, different bgp peer address) as a commercial
service now operated by Trend Micro.  noncommercial alternatives exist,
considering here the Spamhaus and Cymru offerings.  (i regret that i
was unable to continue the service noncommercially, but lawyers are
expensive, and volunteers burn out faster than employees, and so on.)

In fact, the first link that google gave out, says that this project is
dead at least 2 years ago.

http://www.dnsbl.com/2007/02/status-of-rblmapsvixcom-invalid-domain.html

fun.  perhaps i'll stop getting 100+ queries per second to the nameservers
of rbl.maps.vix.com some day before i die, now that google is on my side.

I think that we all have a real opportunity here for make something that
can be useful to all.

i think Spamhaus and Cymru are way ahead of you in implementing such a thing,
and it's likely that there are even commercial alternatives to Trend Micro
although i have not kept up on those details.
--
Paul Vixie