nanog mailing list archives

Re: Global Blackhole Service

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:59:48 +0100

* Valdis Kletnieks:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:57:32 +0100, Jens Ott - PlusServer AG said:
Therefore I had the following idea: Why not taking one of my old routers and
set it up as blackhole-service. Then everyone who is interested could set up a
session to there and

1.) announce /32 (/128) routes out of his prefixes to blackhole them
2.) receive all the /32 (/128) announcements from the other peers with the IPs
they want to have blackholed and rollout the blackhole to their network.

How do you vet proposed new entries to make sure that some miscreant doesn't
DoS a legitimate site by claiming it is in need of black-holing?

The same way you prevent rogue announcements. 8-/

I guess an IX would be able to perform some validation of blacklisting
requests, or at least provide a contractual framework.  I don't think
a global solution exists (beyond the "use my route server" approach,
which is quite global--until there are two of them).