nanog mailing list archives

Re: 97.128.0.0/9 allocation to verizon wireless

From: Scott Howard <scott () doc net au>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:41:53 -0800

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Dave Temkin <davet1 () gmail com> wrote:

Exactly.  I've seen this as well in both instances but haven't seen it on
mobile phones.  It's something so obscure that you're going to have to
really want it to turn it on.  I don't think the Port 25 example holds much
water here.

Many/most GSM/GPRS/etc operators will have multiple APN's - one which is
setup for NAT, and the other which gives a public IP address.

By default, most "dumb" phones will use the former. Data cards will use the
latter, and smartphones seem to be split between the two - although
obviously it will vary between providers.

  Scott.